The 2017-2019 Designer In Residence Program Application Is Now Open!
Current DIR (left to right): Shruti Kirti, Anna Brown, Gabrielle Zwick, Conner Writt, Liz Bahl and Masha Titievsky
The Chicago Fashion Incubator Designer in Residence (DIR) is a two-year design and business development program for up to six apparel and (soft) accessories designers. The DIR are provided a creative professional environment to foster and grow their businesses. By offering low-cost design studio space, business mentoring, educational seminars, and networking opportunities, the CFI’s DIR program provides a way for designers to work with business and design mentors to assess needs; develop design and business skills, resources and networks to become an integral part of the Chicago fashion community; and develop latitudes to reach global markets. The next cycle begins March 1, 2017 through February 28, 2019.
Applicants seeking consideration for entry to the DIR program at the Chicago Fashion Incubator must submit a FULLY COMPLETED application and pay a non-refundable $100.00 application fee, and meet all of the following criteria:
- be 21 years of age or older by the application deadline date
- design apparel and/or (soft) accessories for women and/or men
- established a main residence in the Greater Chicago area before March 1, 2017
- hold a City of Chicago business license or an application in process
- able to commit to the CFI DIR program including a minimum of 30 hours in the studio Monday – Fridayduring regular business hours
- attend scheduled 1/1 mentor sessions, seminars, and CFI media events, info sessions, and programs
- hold a Bachelor’s degree in a fashion or fashion-related field is strongly preferred
The application is open until Sunday, December 4, 2016, 4:59pm CT. Selected designers to be announced the 3rd week of January 2017.